The Rapid Prototype model, also known as the R.P., refers to the first or first batch of samples before the plastic mold is cut in the new product development stage.
The production process of the Rapid Prototype model is mostly manual, so it is widely called the “hand model.”
The Rapid Prototype is the first step to verify the viability of the product. It is the most direct and effective way to find the product design defects to improve the defects until the model has no problems.
Small batch tests are often required to verify the assembly of the product in future mass production.
Rapid prototyping is a layer processing technology and a kind of synthesis technology of CAD and CAM.
Unlike traditional machining, it can produce complex shapes with micro characteristics of the workpiece and dramatically reduce design time and costs.
Rapid prototyping has the following important features:
- It could create any complex 3D geometry entity. Due to the principle of discrete / stacking forming can simplify the very complex 3D manufacturing process to a 2d process. The more complex the part is, the more obvious it displays the superiority of RP technology. The RP technology is particularly suitable for complex cavity and complex surface manufacturing.
- The renewed part design and processing can be quickly obtained by modifying or restructuring a CAD model for just a few hours, displaying the outstanding characteristics of rapid manufacturing.
- Without any special fixture or tool, it could complete the complex manufacturing process for rapid tooling and prototype parts.
- Rapid prototyping technology has realized the two advanced targets of mechanical engineering: 1.the integration of material extraction (gas, liquid solid) process and manufacturing process, 2. the integration of design (CAD) and manufacturing (CAM).
- Combined with Reverse technology, CAD, network, virtual reality, it becomes a powerful tool for new product development.
1. Appearance: It is mainly used to test the feasibility, market research, and exhibition and judge the mass production process such as product size, color, material, cost evaluation.
2.Structure: It is mainly used to check the internal assembly structure of the product, material strength analysis, performance testing, cost evaluation, new product investment, etc., thus greatly reducing the risk of direct mold building.
3. Vacuum Casting: It is mainly used to test new products in small batches to improve the feasibility of mass production of new products and can be used for new product investment.
Therefore, rapid prototyping technology plays an increasingly important role in the manufacturing field and will impact this industry.
Design and functional verification
RP technology can quickly convert the CAD model into a real part, and this process can easily verify the rationality of the design idea and the product structure.
The Traditional method needs to complete a whole process from the drawing, process design, tooling to manufacturing with a long time and high cost.
Direct production without verification maybe invites a great loss for the initial design fault.
Verification for manufacturing, assembly, inspection, and market promotion
The design and manufacturing verification of automotive, satellite, and missile should adopt the RP method initially, which will greatly reduce the system design and manufacture difficulty.
For complex parts, The R.P. can be used to determine the optimum process of RP.
In addition, it is an effective communication way from design to manufacture, likes providing a few product samples for marketing promotion.
It has become a concurrent engineering and agile manufacturing technology approach.
The direct production of small batch and special complicated parts
High strength engineering plastics can be directly and quickly used for plastic parts fabrication. And the complex metal parts could be directly made of rapid casting metal
Rapid tooling manufacturing
RP prototype could be used for manufacturing various kinds of fast toolings, such as alloy mold, silicone mold, metal injection mold for the small-batch parts fabrication to replace the ready products.
- Communication products,
- Digital products,
- Household appliances,
- Medical equipment,
- Car audio,
- Toys and gifts.